It is our vision to give you the means to install ANY desktop environment :
- ArcoLinuxD – with scripts build upon ArcoLinuxD iso
- ArcoLinuxB – with an iso build upon ArcoLinux iso (more in month of June and July – see future projects at bottom of article)
- personalized arcolinux-lightdm-gtk-greeter and arcolinux-lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
- personalized arcolinux-slim application
- personalized arcolinux-oblogout application
This will give us much more flexibility later when building iso’s with ANY desktop environment.
We have upgraded the Calamares installer from 3.1.12-4 to 3.1.13-3. We will wait and see how the new calamares 3.2 performs before implementing it.
On the live dvd you can log out and log back in with the user login liveuser and the password empty and take a look at the desktops. Logout and log back into Openbox or i3.
Because of issues for some people with specific Nvidia graphical cards we do not install xf86-video-nouveau any more on the iso. The issue was that they could not log into Xfce any more. Openbox and i3 worked.
Luckily for us : we have more than one desktop. If one breaks, we can always fall back on the other two.
In the background we are creating a new way for you to build an ArcoLinux iso with ANY desktop environment. For this reason we have created separate calamares configurations that we can change at will for the many desktops we will visit.
We will get more into this in the month of June/July. More info at the bottom of this article.
- gnome-screenshot to be able to have jpg images
- gnome-software-packagekit-plugin to get images in gnome-software
- xcape to have a superkey that opens the menu in Openbox – see config – now hashtagged out
We get feed-back that Libreoffice is not in French or in Russian or any other language. Of course not. We can not install all the languages out there. Being developers we actually never use Libreoffice.
Further more I would like to point out that there so many great office applications out there. Choosing is always losing. You choose one and install its language package.
- WPS Office
- SoftMaker Office
- Oxygen Office
- Yozo Office
Discord is no longer installed via the iso. However it will be installed if you run the ArcoLinux-Nemesis scripts. We will continue to use it for our communications. Discord collects information about their users. You decide whether you want to install it or not.
Zoom was not performing as good as expected in team meetings. The limitation of 10 minutes did not help either.
Flashplugin is considered to be a liability by some. You install it if you need it.
Filezilla is an ftp client. Not used by the ArcoLinux team.
Google-talkplugin is not needed to have a hangout conversation. That is all the ArcoLinux team needs.
- more uniformity between two neofetch configs
- arcolinux i3 has python-pywal with keyboard shortcuts
- bspwm has python-pywal with keyboard shortcuts
- awesome has python-pywal with keyboard shortcuts
- variety config update to latest version and compatible with bspwm and awesome
- bashrc was updated to include a local .bin folder
Arco-Elegant is written in the “old” conky coding and Arco-Eleganto is written in the “new” lua coding.
We will use it to compare, to learn and figure out why some things are not that evident when it comes down to conkies, the many desktops and their display managers.
Check your new ~/.bin folder.
IT IS OUR INTENTION TO PROVIDE YOU EACH MONTH WITH A NEW SCRIPT.
This idea come to us when we were developing Bspwm.
New package created for it – arcolinux-applications-git
You can find these efforts on this github : https://github.com/arcolinuxb
B stands for Build or Build Your Own Iso.
We will get more into this in the month of June and July.
Upgrading ArcoLinux boils down to 2 main actions
- copy/paste hidden content from /etc/skel to your home directory
- keep updating with pksyua
And sometimes we create a new package.
Install it with sudo pacman -S arcolinux-new-package-name
Always check whether it will be installed in /etc/skel or not.
You will get a new lightdm-gtk-greeter as end result. (see image above)
Rest stays the same.
Basically we will replace the old code with new packages.
Lightdm-gtk-greeter and lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
DO NOT REBOOT BETWEEN LINES – run one after the other in your terminal.
sudo pacman -R lightdm-gtk-greeter lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
sudo rm -rf /usr/share/lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings/
sudo pacman -S arcolinux-lightdm-gtk-greeter arcolinux-lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
sudo pacman -R oblogout
sudo pacman -S arcolinux-oblogout
sudo pacman -R slim
sudo pacman -S arcolinux-slim
On some of the ArcoLinuxD desktops you may need to delete xfce-slimlock too:
sudo pacman -R slim xfce-slimlock