NUMBERING HAS CHANGED
- Numbering of the iso will change and follow the calender format : arcolinux-v18.9.1-… is 2018 September 1st release. We believe it will be easier to follow this way.
We will talk about the 18.9 release.
- Numbering of the packages will follow a similar numbering like arcolinux-xfce-thunar-18.9-1…
Launch date is always 15th of the month
Setting the launch date to the 15th is the best decision for bridging the summer holiday and is attuned to our work.
15 July – release iso
15 August – no iso – holiday for the team
15 September – release iso
YAY is in and YAOURT is out
After consulting the developers of both AUR helpers we decided to leave yaourt as AUR helper and go primarily for yay and in second line for trizen.
All scripts and aliases had to be changed into yay and/or trizen.
- ArcoLinux – Xfce, Openbox and i3
- ArcoLinuxD – with scripts and the ArcoLinuxD iso
- ArcoLinuxB – build your personal iso or download what we build
To install software we now type:
yay openoffice (if you are searching for the name)
yay -S openoffice (if you know the name)
yay -S openoffice –noconfirm (if you know the software is valid and needs no checking)
Updating your system is still :
update for all Arch Linux and ArcoLinux updates
pksyua for Arch Linux, ArcoLinux and AUR updates
August and September 2018 were all about ArcoLinuxD. Days went into the changing (and testing) of the scripts because of the move to yay as primary AUR helper..
Hundreds of scripts have been changed to use yay now, then trizen, then yaourt and so on. Depending on what you like and install, it will use that as AUR helper.
ArcoLinuxB scripts were rewritten to give more information and to be as efficient as possible.
Primary objective was to automate the building of the 11 isos without human interaction.
There is no need anymore to say three times yes during the installation in script 30. This halted the build for every single iso.
We can now make 11 isos in 2 hours time in one go.
- root account was given bash as shell rather than zsh
- correct permissions for sudoers and polkit – hardwired in build scripts now
- better font resolution for i3
- newer calamares installer
They may be correct already. It depends what your source is.
sudo chmod 750 /etc/sudoers.d sudo chmod 750 /etc/polkit-1/rules.d
- iso-flag-png only on ArcoLinuxB Cinnamon
- ktorrent on ArcoLinuxB Plasma
- transmission on ArcoLinuxB Plasma
- yaourt gets another 2 months before we do not include it anymore – change your personal scripts
- closing the lid of laptops will make them go to sleep
- thunar custom actions requiring root privileges will give prompt for root password
- more details in the date in xfce thunar – no today or yesterday but date and hour
- inactive opacity is no longer used in i3 in compton.conf
- new shortcuts to exit xfce, openbox, i3 and bspwm – CTRL + ALT + DEL
- new shortcuts in i3 for separate keypads and Return key like Super + Return Keypad
- added menu link in openbox menu to neofetch
We have updated the following ArcoLinux packages
- all packages that have a number like 18.9.1 or more have been changed – see in pamac-aur
- renamed conky elegant and eleganto to show users you need to have 8 cores for it to work!! Delete both old conky files before copy/pasting the new one over from /etc/skel
- awesome gets an update of its configuration
- Super key on Openbox will open the menu
Your .bin folder now also includes a folder called Main. The scripts, we use all the time, will be in there like
- 000-script to use all cores
- script to get the linux-lts kernel
- deleting the linux-lts kernel
IT IS OUR INTENTION TO PROVIDE EVERY MONTH A NEW SCRIPT.
- copy/paste hidden content from /etc/skel to your home directory
- keep updating with pksyua
And sometimes we create a new package.
Install it with sudo pacman -S arcolinux-new-package-name
Always check whether it will be installed in /etc/skel or not.
NOT MENTIONED IN THE VIDEO – A TIP
One thing that is not mentioned is that 6.9.2 has the package yay installed.
We opted in 18.9.5 for yay-bin since is does not need a 500MB from go to compile.
yay-bin is simply much faster to update.
sudo pacman -R yay go trizen yay-bin
We want yay now to update not yaourt.
I misspoke in the video.